Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Ex-Husband (part 3).

The two weeks back in Ohio were absolute hell.  My parents acted like I was doing this to get back at them.  For what, I don't know, but it was all about them.  Lame.  They ended up taking away my laptop since I wasn't going to be in college anymore, and my cell phone since I wasn't going to be theirs anymore.  So, I went to work and gave my two weeks and worked my little butt off as much as I could before time was up.  I hadn't told many of my friends, I usually keep big things like that on the mum until it explodes from all sides.  So I bid adieu to the ones I had told and to my (now) in-laws, then packed  up as much stuff as I could into my duffel bag, my parents ended up sending the rest out in boxes.  My Ex-Husband had managed to score us an apartment while I was away and knew some people who were getting rid of a couch that had a pull-out bed in it, good thing since we had NOTHING.  So, after the hellish two weeks my parents dropped me off at the airport and cried because of how much they were going to miss me.  Funny isn't it?  First they were so pissed at me and now they're crying...the truth always comes out!

Being that I barely knew/had seen My Ex-Husband before we got hitched, being gone from him for two weeks and coming back was nerve racking.  I literally had butterflies in my stomach, not because I was excited, but because I was so nervous!!  When we had spoken he had mentioned that he had always wanted his wife to be able to just be a homemaker.  That was cool with me, we only had the one car and he had a 20+ drive to base every morning, so it made sense.  Luckily since he was married we got money to pay for our rent and utilities, though it proved to not be enough on top of the money for gas and groceries and all the other things we needed.  I always loved my in-laws, which I'll probably mention frequently, and I was so surprised when they ended up getting us a $1,000 gift card for the BX (Base Exchange - pretty much like a Target or Wal-Mart, except on base, you pay no tax and everything is generally cheaper) so we could buy things for the apartment!!  How nice was that?!  Luckily we were able to score a king-size bed for only $600!  Freak yeah, no more sleeping on the pull-out bed!  Then we got some essentials: garbage can, computer desk, kitchen stuff, pots, pans, etc.  And then, when I thought they couldn't get better, his parents even bought us a kitchen table!  Coming from two relationships where the parents mom's didn't like me, this was completely foreign to me!  I swear, I called his parents far more than I did my own family.  They asked me to call them mom and dad, I mean, this was what marriage was supposed to be, this was what in-laws were supposed to be like!  I was living in a perfect world.

Well, the perfect world didn't last too long.  We were getting into fights about money because his account was constantly going into the negative and the money I'd saved up and brought with me wasn't getting us anywhere since we'd already blown it on stuff we needed.  So after a huge fight that had me walking around the city and him driving around trying to find me, we decided that I needed to get a job.  It had to be somewhere within walking distance since we only had the one car and he worked from 3pm-midnight, it also had to be daytime hours because I'm not walking home at 9pm!  I applied at a couple places in the area and ended up getting hired on at Subway.  It wasn't the best job in the world, but I needed something, so I took it!  Luckily I ended up getting pretty good hours and even though I was only making $6.25/hr I was making decent paychecks because I was working my ass off there.  I ended up getting a $.50 raise relatively soon after working there and was pretty stoked because I was glad they noticed how hard I was working.  I had only been there a couple months when my manager ended up training me how to do some of the manager stuff; ordering food, doing paperwork, closing, opening, etc., because she was going on vacation.  It's funny, I've often had jobs where bosses haven't been able to take vacation until I start working there.  It's nice being reliable!  :)  I digress.  We got lucky and ended up getting a house on base 6 months into our marriage.  For those who aren't familiar with how the military world works, if you get base housing you don't have to pay for anything except your extras, like cable, internet and phone.  No rent, no utilities, it's pretty damn nice!  Even though we were going to be living on base I kept my off-base job for awhile.  I did end up transferring to a Subway on base after some time.  Luckily the owner for the off-base one was the same owner for the two on-base.  I worked at both of the Subways on base actually.  After a few months being on base I ended up getting promoted to General Manager and rocked at it, if I do say so myself!

All the while, My Ex-Husband and I were getting along really well, and finally making decent money in the household!  We went to Vegas at one point to visit my father-in-law because he was there for business.  One night we were out to dinner and he said he had to go get his co-worker and that he'd be joining us for dinner.  Next thing I know someone is hugging me and it was my mother-in-law!!  I cried I was so excited!  See how much I loved these people?!  It was unreal.  It was the exact relationship I'd always hoped I'd have with my in-laws.  We did some exploring around Vegas (we were both under 21 still) and had a good time with his family.  We also did random small adventures like Universal Studios and Sea World San Diego, just enjoying each other and our time together.  We ended up getting a dog, Sydney, and she was the cutest little thing ever!  I love that dog.  Unfortunately right now she is with My Ex-Husband in Germany where he's currently stationed, which makes me sad.  Anyway, things were going really well and I'd made a few friends, though not many, and life was fucking GOOD.  I was ridiculously happy, it was probably nauseating for other people.  Actually I know it was, people would mention that when we'd hang out in couples, and they'd also question how he managed to land someone like me, haha.

After living there for about a year and after blogging quite regularly on Xanga, I had met a gal on there that also lived on base, her husband was a Marine.  We'd talked about hanging out a couple times but nothing really came of it, then one day she was going to be having a luncheon with some other Marine wives because their husbands were coming back from a deployment the next day.  I decided to stop by to finally meet her and hang out for awhile.  At one point her daughter, about 2 at the time, had a handful of crumbs from potato chips and handed them to me so I tossed them into my mouth, and that's when she says she knew I could hang and she could see us hanging out again.  That was the day I met My BFF.  We didn't really hang out that much at first, but after a little while we did.  We really started hanging out more frequently when things started going downhill with me and My Ex-Husband.

To be continued...

xoxo,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment