Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Ex-Husband (part 2).

Unfortunately My Ex-Husband couldn't take much leave (days off) while I was there, so I was glad I'd joined that Yahoo group!  I met up with a couple ladies I knew from there and that kept me only partially busy.  The rest of the time I was in his barracks room just sitting around waiting for him to come back on lunch and after work.  But, luckily, he was able to get a few days off!  Mainly, if I'm being completely honest, because we had planned on eloping before I even got to California.  I wanted to get away from Ohio, I wanted to be able to be with him always and he wanted the same thing.  Not to mention, I was still in the thinking that if I couldn't make it work with My First Love who could I  make it work with, and figured that since this man loved me and wanted to marry that I should snatch him up while I still had the chance.  I was 20, I was young, I was thinking about the present instead of the rest of my life.  Not that I regret it, I don't regret getting married at all, I don't like living life with regrets.  I learned from it, as you'll see.

We went to the mall one day at started looking at wedding rings.  We came across a set from Fred Meyer Jewelers that was only $300 for my engagement ring, wedding band and his wedding band!  It was simple, cute and small...but it was perfect.  I have never been the type to want a huge rock on my finger.  It looks almost exactly like that picture, except the diamond on my engagement ring wasn't even that big.  But, like I said, wasn't a big deal to me, I loved my rings!  We had to get them sized, so it took a few days for that.  We got them back a couple days before the big day.  After we picked them up and went back to base, I was sitting in his computer chair, looking something up online, and all of a sudden he comes next to me and is telling me how much he loves me and how he wants to spend the rest of his life with me, and he officially proposed!  I was pretty excited about that, because even though we knew we were going to get married, he still took the time to propose, on one knee and all.  I was bawling.

Of course I didn't know anybody out in California, so he had to ask a guy he worked with and his wife to be our witnesses and luckily this guy was the sweetest guy and took off work so they could come do that for us.  I was super nervous on the way there, the whole time during and afterward.  Mostly because I didn't know if I should be doing this, but I'd already gotten myself into it, so what could I do now?  Also because my parents didn't know and I knew they were going to freak the fuck out.  We had the guy's wife take some pictures for us, but it was on a disposable camera and I was new to flying so I didn't know you shouldn't put film through the x-ray machine.  Idiot.  So the only picture that even turned out decently was the one of us outside of the courthouse...in which the guy's wife had her finger covering the lense.  Ugh.  Afterward we pulled up to the guy and his wife's car to see where we should eat to celebrate our big day, when My Ex-Husband put the car window down, it completely fell off track.  Wouldn't wind back up, the motor for the automatic window was shot.  Great.

After getting back to base and up to his barracks room, I think I must've written something on my AIM status message about getting married because boy oh boy did my parents call REAL quick and bitch me out like it was nobody's business.  I'm the type of person who gets really nervous and anxious when someone is mad at them, so even though I knew this was going to happen, I still did it, and when it came time to pay the price on that, I was sick about it.  Not to mention I had to go home for two weeks so I could pack up my shit and fly back out to Cali since I was going to have to live there now.  With my husband.  So they yelled at me for awhile about why we did that, why we didn't tell them, why he didn't ask my dad for his permission.  Come on, like he would've said "yeah, go ahead and marry my daughter after 5 1/2 months," I don't think so.  Plus, I was an adult, I didn't need their permission!  Or so I thought, they felt otherwise.  His parents, on the other hand, couldn't have been more thrilled!  They loved me!  Before I had gone out to visit him, I would go to his parent's house to visit with them and his sister's just for shits and giggles.  His family was already more of a family to me than my own, as I'm not very close with mine in the first place.  I mean, his sister even called me before I came out one day because she thought she might be knocked up and asked if I could pick her up a pregnancy test.  She was getting ready to go to MEPS (that's where they do a medical exam) in a couple days, before heading to basic training for the Air Force and they test you there anyway, so she kinda wanted to be prepared beforehand.  Not to mention his parents ended up getting married after about 3 months of dating, so they more understood what we were going through than my parents.

To be continued...

xoxo,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment